3 pillars of healthy aging
Aging happens to all of us, yet we don’t all age in the same way. While some people are genetically blessed and seem to age very slowly, or at least very gracefully, there are certainly lifestyle choices we can make that have been proven to slow ageing, protect against disease, and extend our lifespan. Fortunately researchers have a clear measurement of aging at a cellular level: telomeres. These protective caps that cover the chromosomes housing our NA appear to, essentially, shorten as we age or the body is exposed to stress, and lengthen relative to age when we make positive changes. These positive changes at a cellular level occur gradually over time and regardless of age. This means great things for us; because aging is a gradual process, this means that small, consistent, positive lifestyle changes can greatly improve our lifespan, ageing process, and long-term quality of life.
As it turns out, the best anti-aging lifestyle practices cost us little more than our own effort. They are so important that these factors can truly be considered fundamentals of an anti-aging lifestyle:
- Stress management. Stress and the state of a person’s mind has been identified to have far-reaching health effects, having the potential to significantly decrease life expectancy. Essentially, the way we respond internally to life affects how long we have to enjoy it.
- Movement. The decrease in skeletal muscle over time as we age affects every aspect of life. Exercise and movement are fundamental to longevity. As we age, we need to focus on keeping muscle mass through weight-bearing exercise if we want to live a long and healthy life.
- Nutrition. How and what we eat has an amazing effect on our individual process of aging. Our DNA and telomeres, and the rest of the body, respond positively to a diet rich in micronutrients, minerals, antioxidants, quality proteins and healthy fats. We have to remember that everything we eat nourishes our cells. Not only that, everything we eat nourishes our DNA and guides our destiny, in terms of our health.
- When you wake up, sit for a few minutes, eyes closed, consciously letting go of thoughts with eat out breath
- Move, dance, walk, run, stretch or climb stairs every day. Feel alive in your body.
- Eat more plants, nuts, seeds, ocean-caught fish, and berries. Find a new recipe and explore!