Phuket Sandbox Model
What you should know about Phuket Sandbox Model
Introduction to Phuket Sandbox
Phuket Sandbox, a pilot project to allows fully vaccinated tourists who live in low and medium risk countries to enter Phuket via flights under certain conditions with the focus on allowing tourists to move around Thailand freely after remaining in a SHA Plus hotel on Phuket for 14 nights without quarantine required. During the 14-night stay in Phuket, tourists are required to undergo 3 RT-PCR tests; on Day 0 (arrival date), Day 6 and Day 12.
A new initiative which started since 17 August 2021 allows ‘Phuket Sandbox’ guests to travel to Koh Samui, Koh Pha-ngan and Koh Tao in Surat Thani; Koh Phi Phi, Koh Ngai and Railay Bay in Krabi; and Khao Lak, Koh Yao Yai and Koh Yao Noi in Phang Nga. Please see more details below.
Amatara Wellness Resort is a SHA Plus certified hotel, so what is a SHA Plus Hotel?
'SHA Plus’ is a certification for companies/individuals who have received their ‘SHA’ certification ‘PLUS’ at least 70% of their workforce has been fully vaccinated. The Amazing Thailand Safety and Health Administration (SHA) certification has been certified by the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC) as being on par with the WTTC SafeTravels global health and hygiene standardised protocols.
ARE YOU AN ELIGIBLE TRAVELER?
If your answers are yes for all of these boxes, yes, you are eligible to enter Phuket on Phuket Sandbox Model. Otherwise, you may still enter to Phuket by spending your first 14 nights at one of the Alternative Local Quarantine hotels.
- Are you fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by the Thai FDA or WHO no less than 14 days before departure? Or for children under 18 years old and travelling with eligible parents/guardians are allow to enter without a proof of vaccination. List of approved vaccines includes: AstraZeneca, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson, Sinovac Biotech, Sinopharm, Serum Institute of India (SII), Pfizer – Biontech, and Heterologous Prime Boost. 2 Certified doses of different vaccines from the approved list are accepted.
- Will you travel from approved countries/territories listed by TAT and stay in those countries for at least 21 days prior to departure to Thailand?
- Do you have a health insurance with a minimum coverage of USD 100,000 and covers COVID-19 treatment in Thailand throughout the entire duration of stay? If you don’t have this yet, please visit https://covid19.tgia.org/
- Have you arranged a paid SHA Plus hotel reservation and received a hotel confirmation (SHABA Certificate) throughout 14 days? if less than 14 days, do you have a proof of departure from Thailand?
- Have you arranged COVID-19 testings payment in Phuket?
- In a case that you are required to obtain the visa to enter Thailand, do you have the visa to enter to Thailand prepared?
WHAT'S NEXT FOR ELIGIBLE TRAVELERS?
Once checked & prepared the documents, here are steps to apply for Certificate of Entry (COE)
- Click to https://coethailand.mfa.go.th
- Fill in your personal information
- Provide the documents as requested by uploading to the system which include:
- Vaccination Certificate
- COVID-19 Health Insurance with minimum coverage of USD 100,000.
- Air ticket
- SHA Plus hotel reservation confirmation (SHABA Certificate)
- Proof of payment of COVID-19 testings while in Sandbox
Please note that this is a required document for every individual entering Phuket.
Once arrived Phuket, what do you need to do before roaming Phuket freely?
- Pass through Department of Disease Control and Immigration checkpoints
- Receive a free SIM card and download ‘Mor Chana’ application on your mobile phone
- Undergo RT-PCR test at Phuket Airport
- Turn on the GPS of the designated contact tracing application at all times throughout the period of stay in Phuket
- Take your pre-arranged limousine to the hotel to wait for the result of your first RT-PCR test in the hotel room. If test negative, you can start your trip in Phuket freely.
- During your stay in Phuket, you must undergo 2 more RT-PCT tests (on day 6 and day 12) according to the period of stay.
- Travelers who wish to continue the journey to other Thai destinations must have a proof of 14 days of stay in Phuket and a total of 3 RT-PCR tests results from the doctor.
For child policy, please see below.
- Children below the age of 18 who are accompanying their vaccinated /guardian must have a RT-PCR test no more than 72 hours before departure.
- Every child must get a RT-PCR test no more than 72 hours before departure from their home country.
- Children aged 6 - 18 can enter the Phuket Sandbox without vaccination but must have a RT-PCR test 72 hours before departure.
- Children aged below 6 will undergo a saliva RT-PCR test at the Phuket International Airport and they are required to do only 1 COVID test if parents/guardians are tested negative on arrival.
- In case parents are found to have Covid-19 during their stay in Phuket, any accompanying children will be required to stay at the hospital with their parents.
- Unaccompanied minors are not allowed to use the Phuket Sandbox project to access Thailand.